Engagement at the Central Canada Mineral Exploration Conference
November 21, 2018 – Winnipeg, Manitoba
On November 21, 2018, the Canadian Minerals and Metals Plan (CMMP) Secretariat conducted a pre-conference presentation at the Central Canada Mineral Exploration Conference in Winnipeg and facilitated a follow-up workshop to refine key actions under the Plan. Approximately 20 participants took part in round-table discussions that focused on each Strategic Direction, and used a dot-mocracy tool to provide feedback about actions they would most like to see prioritized.
Actions that received the most votes include:
- Increasing assistance to federal, provincial and territorial geoscience surveys and university researchers.
- Supporting the Indigenous talent pool; developing a strategy regarding the benefits of mining and green/sustainable mining practices to increase general public outreach/awareness.
- Increasing clarity on the role of EAs within the mining sector and providing appropriate resources to conduct EAs.
- Supporting the development of geoscience tools in exploration.
- Reviewing Canadian tax policy to support cost competitiveness.